Start the Process of Becoming a Volunteer
Safe Environment Protection Practices
The Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis mandates that all individuals who are in contact with children and/or vulnerable adults through a school, parish, or archdiocesan institution meet three criteria. All ministries of the parish, including the school, are mandated to participate in the three criteria listed below.
- A successful Background Check: Ascension Catholic Academy, through the archdiocese, has contracted with a very reputable agency that has been used for years by the archdiocesan schools, parishes, and institutions to conduct background checks for all employees and volunteers.
- Participation in a VIRTUS Training session: VIRTUS is a program that identifies best practices designed to help prevent wrongdoing and promote “right doing” within religious organizations for the safe environment protection of youth and vulnerable adults. The VIRTUS program is mandated by the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis.
- Volunteer Code of Conduct: Individuals who work or volunteer with children and/or vulnerable adults are required to sign the “Volunteer Code of Conduct.” This code outlines what a volunteer will and will not do in their volunteer capacity.
This Essential 3 process is done online.
Steps to Volunteer
Please read and follow the steps below to complete the process for volunteering in the schools:
1. Complete a Volunteer Application- this may be provided by the school or ACA Volunteer Manager Margaret Conroy, or you can download it here.
2. Submit the Volunteer Application to the school office or directly to Margaret Conroy via email. Margaret will follow up with you regarding volunteer interest.
3. Follow steps in the VIRTUS New User Guide to complete the online process for Essential 3 requirements. Shannon Baier, ACA Safe Environment Coordinator, will facilitate this E3 process and ensure that all is complete.
4. Once you have completed all requirements in the online Essential 3 process, Shannon Baier will provide verification to Margaret Conroy.
5. Margaret Conroy will send a Confirmation Email for Volunteer Readiness and to schedule volunteer time in the school.